a noble task
Read 1 Timothy 3:1-7.
“Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task.” (3:1)
A noble task calls for someone of noble character; therefore, a congregation’s overseers must always be selected on the basis of their character.
- They must not be selected on the basis of their gifts and talents, for those things reveal nothing of the man, being gifts direct from God.
- Their possessions and status must not be considered for those are irrelevant to the government of an eternal kingdom.
- Likewise their perceived clout in the community or their connections with civic leaders must be of considered of no consequence for it is the Lord’s strength we live by and our connection with him that determines all things.
- How much they drop in the contribution plate or who they’re kin to in the church must hold no weight in the selection of such leaders for the influence God’s people must seek are things that cannot be bought at all with blood or money.
- Whether or not they were a charter member of the congregation or came along later in the church’s life must hold no sway lest the community of Christ be reduced to the level of a club.
- Nor should their pleasantness in appearance sway the selection of them for though we know people look at outward things and are usually content to live with skin-deep relationships, we know our Lord weighs a man’s heart and when he himself donned flesh, he was nothing to behold.
Character. Let every eldership among God’s people be filled with men chosen on the basis of their grounding and growth in God and the gates of hell itself will not prevail against them. Let every member of every church seek to raise up leaders from among themselves who are selected very differently, radically so, from the way the world selects its leaders. Then, and only then, will the church of Christ be led by men of Christ who emulate the character of Christ.
God my Father in heaven, grow up among your people men who have their hearts set first on you. Give your people eyes to see such men and move them to affirm such in Christ’s holy name. Amen.