Read Philippians 3:12-17.
Paul often groups his thoughts in clusters of three. Here Paul says three things, three times. If we are spiritually “mature,” we will “take such a view of things” in regard to our own life.
1. Paul says: I’m not there yet
- “Not that I have already obtained all this …”
- “… [not that I] have already arrived at my goal.”
- “I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.”
2. Then he says: But I’m getting there
- “I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me”
- “… straining toward what is ahead.”
- “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
3. And he concludes: I want you there with me
- “… let us live up to what we have already attained.”
- “Join together in following my example.”
- “… keep your eyes on those who live as we do.”
Heavenly Father, in the name of Jesus, make all of this clear to me. May it be clear in my life for the sake of others. Give me a good forgetter of things past that I need to forget and give me a good rememberer of you and what you have in mind for my life for the blessing of us all. Sensitize me to just how important it is for me to live Christ-like that others will walk the same way. Amen.